Health and Social Care
Is Health and Social Care the subject for you?
This course will appeal to those students who:
- Enjoy studying a subject that is relevant to their own lives and experience
- Want the opportunity to carry out practical work as well as class work Want to find out more about the subject through personal investigation
- Are interested in developing an understanding of caring organisations and the clients they serve.
- Want to study a course that is active and enjoyable
- Want to move onto a related career or higher education course
- Would like to work in the health care sector, teaching, police force, youth work, social work etc.
In Year 12 students study –
- Human Growth and Development - (examination) Life stages and patterns of human growth and development, Factors affecting growth and development, Promoting Health and wellbeing.
- Communication and Values - (coursework) Different types of communication, demonstrating interpersonal interactions, Care Value Base. How values are communicated.
- Positive Care Environments - (coursework) Values and individual rights, Barriers to access of services, Creating a positive care environment. How society promotes service user’s rights.
In Year 13 students study –
- Meeting Individual Needs (examination) - Structure and provision of services. The process of care planning. The roles of practitioners within the health and social care sector. How quality is maintained with organisations.
- Promoting Health and Wellbeing (coursework) - Reasons for promoting health and wellbeing. Models and approaches to health promotions. Planning, implementing and evaluating your own health promotion.
- Investigating Disease (coursework) - Different methods of categorising disease. The differences between communicable and non-communicable diseases. Diagnosis, treatment and support of disease. Strategies for prevention of disease.
Methods of study
You will gain a broad understanding of health, social care and early years working environments. You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding in health, social care and early years. You will have an opportunity to apply learning in a practical and realistic way, whilst following a programme of study that enables progression to both higher education and employment in health and social care. The course will help you develop key skills that are highly valued by employers and universities and gain confidence by developing independent learning skills.
How will it be examined?
This qualification is equivalent to three A Levels and will be assessed via controlled assessment and examination.
When you have finished the course you may choose to go into full- time employment